Day 8 ~ Versailles

Today we visited a real life castle. Seriously. It was without a doubt an experience of a lifetime. Versailles was simply unbelievable. I am a huge lover of French antiques and decor, so for me, it was like a mecca of sorts. But even if you're not, you will be taken aback by the sheer gravity of opulence and extravagence of it all. Can you believe it was began by King Louis XIII to be a modest hunting lodge? Then, XIV came in and remodeled to end with this monstrosity of the epitome of wretched excess.


The chapel.

Every room had incredible ceilings like this.
The Hall of Mirrors is one of the most famous rooms of the chateau. It is truly magnificent and I have never seen anything like it (and will probably never again.)


After our tour of the structure, we grabbed a bite to eat in the cafe.
And finally headed out to the world famous gardens.


Earnest Hemingway described Paris in this way...."If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then, wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast." I, too, believe that Paris is one of the rare places on Earth that truly change a person. You cannot leave the same person. You simply cannot take in that lifestyle or be surrounded by that magnitude of beauty and be unchanged. We were in the city for a week and a half and I feel like I just barely scratched the surface of it. I so want to return for an extended stay.... maybe next time with my sweetie. Until then, you are forever in my heart, my dear Paris.

No comments: